Have you ever hovered over the stove or kitchen countertop, looked around and thought, “This place could definitely look better”?
At StarMark Cabinetry, we understand that building your dream kitchen – whether you’re working with well-known kitchen designers or doing it yourself – can be a daunting task.
Do you get new hickory cabinets or refinish your existing cabinets? Should you replace your countertops with high-maintenance material or something more user-friendly? Flooring: tile or long-wearing laminate?
So many questions.
And if you’re thinking of selling your home, take note: kitchens and bathrooms are high selling points when you place your house on the market. Be sure these rooms are updated to help boost your asking price.
Here are 5 tips for your kitchen remodeling project:
1. Color and theme. Is it time to do away with the tired green walls and faded appliances? Create a general plan of what needs to be done. If you’re not happy with where your stove is or you’d like more kitchen cabinet space, now is the time to map everything out. Browse the Internet or through magazines for divine inspiration.
2. Lighting. Can you see what’s cooking on the stove? Are you washing dishes in the dark? Perhaps it’s time to stage a lighting plan, ensuring you have wattage above key areas: the stove, sink, kitchen island and family dinner table.
3. Resurface or replace? Are your cabinets in poor shape? Is there unused wall space where custom cabinets would give you more storage options? Now is the time to think about new or resurfaced cabinet space. And while you’re at it, how do the floors look? It may be time to replace that old linoleum with fresh tile, wood or durable laminate.
4. New faucets? When considering kitchen remodeling, it’s always a good idea to take a peek in your sink – typically the most used area in the kitchen – to see if there’s a need to replace the entire sink or simply purchase a new faucet. Today’s modern faucets are durable and made to accommodate your lifestyle.
5. Plan your budget. And stick to it. Choose a reputable contractor, sift through your list of local kitchen designers or do it yourself. Whichever way is best for you, carefully plan how much you want to spend. But since there are oftentimes unexpected surprises that go along with many kitchen remodeling projects, it’s a great idea to stash a little cash. Just in case.
About the author
StarMark Cabinetry is a Sioux Falls, S.D.-based kitchen cabinet company, offering custom cabinetry for homes. Contact us today for additional information about kitchen remodeling projects.